Nothing in the world is more important to us than our families. We go out of our way to ensure that they stay healthy and safe. The best thing we could do for them to shield them from harm is to purchase family health insurance for them. It comes with a wide selection of benefits and many people today are opting for family health insurance instead of individual schemes because of the former’s wider coverage in terms of the number of policyholders. It is essentially a wide safety net and its coverage includes-
- Family health insurance plans cover a wide range of illnesses that are commonly diagnosed in India. They also include a number of preexisting diseases. Doctor’s fees, medical treatment, pathological tests, Chemotherapy, prosthetic devices to be inserted during surgeries, physiotherapy, plaster cast, dressing etc. are all covered.
- Certain tests like bilirubin count, autism screening, Hepatitis tests are covered for children included in the family health insurance plan.
- Critical illness floater plans make provisions for the treatment of some twelve debilitating ailments like a tumour, AIDs, paralysis etc.
- Family health insurance brings your entire family under one insurance policy. It includes your spouse, children (up to three), your parents, and your siblings as your dependents. Some policies allow you to include your in-laws in the same policy. Family floater plans are very flexible. You can change it as required. If a family member passes away or a new one is born, you simply have to inform your insurer and the changes in the policy will be effected.
- You have to pay one premium for the whole family under family floater insurance.
- You can actually make a claim for more than one family member simultaneously as long as the incurred expenses are within the coverage amount specified in your health insurance plan.
- Pre and post hospitalization expenses, which have been incurred sixty days before and ninety days after hospitalization, are included in family floater plans.
- You get to renew your family health insurance as many times as needed.
- The sum insured is the amount of money your insurance provider will pay you at the time of a medical emergency when you make a claim. The sum insured ranges from INR 1.5 Lakh to INR 50 Lakh.
- A number of hospitals work in tandem with insurance providers and offer the facility of cashless hospitalization. You do not have to pay your medical bills because the hospitals allow deferred payment where your insurer will pay the hospital directly.
- Family health insurance also includes ambulance charges
- You can choose the duration of the policy from the following – 1 year, 2 years, 3 years.
- Your insurance offers the facility of medical reimbursement.
- If you have exhausted the sum insured on an ailing family member, yet another policyholder needs medical care, you can top up your policy.
Today, with medical inflation going off the charts, it is near impossible for everyone to pay the expenses of a medical procedure out of their pocket without seriously denting their finances. The most cost-effective way of guaranteeing your family’s health is by purchasing family health insurance policy.